7.1 channel output over HDMI from Roon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.1 channel output over HDMI from Roon

Some sonicTransporter users have asked how to play 7.1 or 5.1 channel audio out the HDMI port on the sonicTransporter to an A/V receiver or audio device with an HDMI audio input.

I just posted a quick start guide for this.

https://forums.sonicorbiter.com/foru...nictransporter

As always make sure you a running Sonicorbiter OS 2.8 and press the update button to get the latest.

Check the FAQ if you don't know how to update.

http://sonicorbiter.com/docs/upgrade

Andrew if you are running 2.8 already do you still need to update again following the instructions to update from 2.7 to 2.8? Or do you just need to press the update button?

Comment

Just press update if you are already on 2.8.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	roon.png
Views:	230
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1772 Andrew

I updated 2.8 by pressing the update button. After the update I rebooted no problem. I then powered down my i5 and connected a HDMI cable to my pre/pro HDMI Aux input and selected Aux input on my pre/pro. Then I connected the other end to my i5 and powered up. When I go to Roon, Settings/Audio this is what I get. I assumed the i5 would appear as an option and I could select which HDMI as noted in your footnote. Am I missing something?

Comment

Make sure the sT is set for Roon local playback. Try to power cycle the pre/pro and the sT.

Comment

That did the trick. I can now see the sT in Roon but I get no audio out. Roon appears to be playing but no audio out. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 2.28.01 PM.png
Views:	160
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1775 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 2.28.20 PM.png
Views:	153
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1776 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 2.28.49 PM.png
Views:	153
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1777
              There is no selection for HDMI. Does ALSA need to be edited?

Comment

Maybe not, it should say HDA Intel HDMI.

Comment

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Comment

My pre/pro has 6 HDMI inputs, 4 are HDCP 2.2 and 2.0b compliant. The other 2 are for legacy equipment. I have been using a legacy HDMI input. I will try one of the HDCP 2.2 inputs.

Comment

My HDMI is 2.0b so maybe that will work for you.

Comment

The HDMI 2.0b worked but, not correctly. When I selected the sT on Roon no audio, it appears to be playing but no audio. If I select my ultraRendu on Roon with the sT connected via HDMI it passes an audio signal over HDMI but only in stereo. The Legacy HDMI inputs may also pass an audio signal when the ultraRendu is selected on Roon but I didn't think to check that out. I power-cycled everything numerous times and re-selected local playback on Roon. Any suggestions?

Comment

I enabled all the HDMI outputs and tested them one at a time until I found the one that had an output. HDMI 1 is the one me that worked for me.

Comment

The instructions say "Go to settings -> audio and look in the section with the IP address of your sonicTransporter.

There will be a bunch of HDMI ports labeled "HDA Intel HDMI #". When I do that there is only one port labeled (HDA Intel PCH). If I select it and try to play audio Roon looks like it's playing but no audio is passed. If I change the the endpoint to my ultraRendu but keep the HDMI input selected, Audio is passed but only in stereo. If I switch the input of my pre/pro to the ultraRendu input, the same audio is passed. I powered down the ultraRendu to remove it from the chain and rebooted the sT but that didn't work either. I'm curious if anyone else following this thread has successfully got HDMI 5.1 output?

Comment

You don't want to use (HDA intel PCH) don't you have an (HDA Intel HDMI X) on the list?

Comment

Working...
                              X