optical rendu problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• optical rendu problem

i'm experiencing problems getting my new sonic transporter i9 and optical rendu up and running. i wonder if anyone here has any suggestions.

the specific problem is that the rendu is not initializing -- at least, not in a way that allows it to be visible on the network.

the s.t. shows up, and i can play music directly to my dac (schiit yggy).

the rendu uses the recommended linear power supply. both lps and rendu are warm to the touch, but the rendu's LED is stuck on amber.

all the connections seem right: ethernet connection to the s.t., lps -> rendu, optical cable from the s.t. to the rendu, and usb from the rendu to the dac.

is this just a case of a bad rendu and/or lps? i.e. if the rendu was operating properly, would it fully initialize even without connection to the s.t. and dac?

suggestions welcome ..

Are there any LEDs on at the optical side on the sT?

Comment

• stevan apter
      stevan apter commented
      Editing a comment
      on the back side of the s.t. the ethernet connection l.e.d. is showing activity, and the power button l.e.d. on the side is lit (blue), but there are no l.e.d.'s that i can see at the optical cable connection. should there be? are you suggesting that the s.t. is not properly transmitting to the rendu?

I haven’t seen the board which is why i’m asking. An orange Status LED means the Rendu boots up but doesn’t have internet.

Comment

• stevan apter
      stevan apter commented
      Editing a comment
      the optical rendu has an orange status light. it should be what? green or blue? in any case, it doesn't have internet.

It should be green indicating the system has internet access.

Comment

• stevan apter
      stevan apter commented
      Editing a comment
      right. so my question is: if the s.t. has internet (which it does) then it seems to me there are three possibilities: (i) the optical output stage of the s.t. is busted; (ii) the optical input stage on the rendu is busted; (iii) the optical cable is busted. since i don't have extra units i can swap out to determine which of these is the case (assuming there is just one failure here) then it seems that my alternative is just to send everything back to sgc for testing and repair. unless someone (possibly andrew) can suggest further diagnostics which will answer the question.

I would wait for Andrew to chime in...it likely just needs a software tweak which he can do from remote.

Comment

i haven't heard from andrew, but i received the following message from another member of this forum:

---

I have the same components in my system,
      Is your network connection to the STi9 a gigabit ( 1000 Base Ten ) connection ?
      If your network is operating at 10/100 Base Ten the opticalRendu will not connect.
      Even 10/100/1000 can cause issues with connections.

---

comments?

Comment

You can reach him via email as well, but he may be working on holiday until tomorrow.

The network should be 1000 speed.

At this point...I would wait for Andrew to look at the system.

Comment

Working...
        X