5.1 Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1 Audio

I have a large collection of 5.1 disks (SACD, DVD-A, BluRay). With DVD Audio Extractor I can rip most to 5.1 FLAC. My Question is will they play through my ultraRendu If I use a USB to HDMI converter to connect to my surround receiver utilizing the DACs in the receiver?

That is going to depend mostly on your USB to HDMI converter. My concern is if the converter supports the intended playback rates. Please provide feedback if you proceed with testing.

The Rendu in general supports multi-channel playback as noted here:
    https://forums.sonicorbiter.com/foru...r-multichannel

Comment

• tmauceri
      tmauceri commented
      Editing a comment
      I use LMS for my server on the STi5. The support page says LMS/Squeezelite doesn't work. is there another player on the Rendu that works with LMS?

There is no other player that works with LMS on the Rendu.

Comment

• tmauceri
      tmauceri commented
      Editing a comment
      For my quest to play 5.1 I switched my server to Roon. i have ripped a DVD-A in 5.1 to FLAC and loaded it on my ST 5i. I can see it in Roon and it plays in 2 channels since that 's what my DAC supports. Now how do I play it in 5.1? I'm looking for a USB A to HDMI cable or converter but don't know if that will work. I need to send the signal to my surround receiver via HDMI. In the 5.1 wiki it says tested and works with Roon but how was it done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I get it to work my plan is to buy a microRendu for a 5.1 dedicated player.

For those tests we used this product:
    https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb...terface/u-dac8

I'm not aware of one, but someone might make the digital converter you are specifically looking for. Getting the correct sample rate, bit rate and supported format (PCM/DSD) might be your biggest hurtle.

Comment

• tmauceri
      tmauceri commented
      Editing a comment
      You are probably right about finding the right adaptor but it would be easier. it seems the best adaptors are for windows only and require a driver. would that work with sonicOrbitor? The little 8 channel DAC would do the trick at $255 it' won't break the bank. I went through the manual, how would one set various parameters of the DAC when connected the Rendu. Can they be preset on a computer and then saved? Sorry for all the questions.

Typically, if a USB device works on a Mac without drivers it will work on a Rendu. No custom settings it will just work or it won’t with unsupported devices.

Comment

• tmauceri
      tmauceri commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I have found an adapter, manufacturer claims it supports HDMI audio. Arrives Aug. 6th. I'll let you know how it works out. I am enjoying Roon though, glad I switched.

Post a link to the device and I'll have a look at it.

Comment

I don't know...it might work to some extent.

Comment

• tmauceri
      tmauceri commented
      Editing a comment
      Will wait and see.

I was just reading in Roon help about 5.1. It gives options for using HDMI so I think if the USB to HDMI adapter works I may be in luck.

Comment

They may be referring to HDMI output on motherboards?

Comment

The USB to HDMI adapter did not work. The instructions said I needed to load a driver, even for a Mac. I loaded the driver and using JRiver on my Mac tried to send audio to my surround receiver. Did not work. I knew it wouldn't work with the ultraRendu when I saw that you needed a driver but I tried it anyway and it didn't work. I have the first generation Oppo BluRay player, BDP-83 but I don't think it can be used as an external Dac like the later models. It has a USB in and can read MP3's. I don't think USB from the ultraRendu to the Oppo will work. I could try it it but I don't want to risk damaging the Rendu. Do you have an opinion?

Comment

An idea for a simple solution to my 5.1 quest. Since I am running Roon Core on my sonicTransporter I can use my macBook as an endpoint and send 5.1 via HDMI to my surround receiver. Do you think this will work?

Comment

It's worth a try....

Comment

It Works! Very easy to set-up.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 10.52.50 AM.png
Views:	40
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	424

Comment

Thomas:

I am on the same quest ... trying to run MCH PCM audio from my UltraRendu to my Pre/Pro for additional room correction. The Pre/Pro runs double-duty for home theater so this is not an audio-only installation. When I run room correction software from the AVR, it should cover music listening and movie watching.

To accommodate MCH audio, I have reconnected my HTPC to the system which now runs Roon as an endpoint, gaining access to HDMI to the AVR. This allows me to run MCH audio via Roon and/or JRiver. It's an awkward fix as I am running TWO Roon Endpoints to the same AVR: UltraRendu for 2-Channel and HTPC for MCH.

As mentioned on the Roon forum, the solution appears to be the following:
                1. UltraRendu >>> USB-to-HDMI Converter >>> Pre/Pro DAC + Room Correction Software (Not viable)
                2. UltraRendu >>> USB 8-Channel DAC >>> Analog Output >>> Pre/Pro 7.1 Analog Inputs + Room Correction Software (limited choice)
                3. UltraRendu >>> USB Input to Pre/Pro + Room Correction Software (very limited choice)
                4. UltraRendu >>> USB 8-Channel DAC >>> Analog-to-HDMI Converter >>> HDMI input to Pre/Pro + Room Correction Software
                I'm not even sure if an "Analog 7.1-to-HDMI Converter" exists but that would be a solution for AVR's and Pre/Pros that no longer feature 7.1 analog inputs.

In my search for high quality audio Pre/Pros, the few that are highly regarded exclude USB inputs and 7.1 analog inputs. The most graceful solution would be a USB input, like many high quality, stand-alone DAC's have. Not sure why this is the case.

Comment

Looks like the simple answer might be to upgrade the Pre/Pro to one that supports a direct USB connection from the UltraRendu.
                  The Emotiva XMC-2 features a USB input which should permit multichannel PCM audio playback: https://emotiva.com/products/xmc-2

And, it features Dirac Live room correction.

Just not so sure about Emotiva ... quality, reliability, etc but I sure like their catering to "audio only" aficionados.

In the meantime, my search continues for other pre/pros with an USB inputs and Dirac or ARC room correction.

Comment

Working...
                  X